• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

OceanBonfire said:
NAVGEN 018/18 —  RCN Dress and Clothing Update - 01/2018

12. NAVAL ENHANCED COMBAT UNIFORM (NECU):
A. USER TRIALS FOR THE FIRST PROTOTYPE UNIFORMS TO REPLACE THE
CURRENT NCD UNIFORM COMPLETED IN NOVEMBER 2017
B. BASED ON FEEDBACK FROM THE FIRST USER TRIALLED PROTOTYPE, AN
UPDATED VERSION WAS PRODUCED AND REVIEWED BY COMD RCN IN JANUARY
2018. A FURTHER REFINED SPECIFICATION AND THIRD PROTOTYPE IS
ANTICIPATED TO BE REVIEWED FOR APPROVAL CONSIDERATION IN SPRING 2018.
CONTINGENT UPON THIS FINAL PROTOTYPE APPROVAL. IT IS ANTICIPATED
THAT APPROVED NECU WOULD BE READY TO COMMENCE ISSUE LATE 2019 OR
EARLY 2020

C. PARTICIPANTS OF THE INITIAL NECU TRIAL CONTINUE TO BE AUTHORIZED
TO WEAR TRIAL NECU
D. THE NECU WILL CONSIST OF TWO LAYERS (T-SHIRT AND NECU SHIRT)
RESULTING IN A NAVAL FLEECE TO BE INTRODUCED AS AN INTERMEDIATE
ARTICLE OF CLOTHING. IT IS ANTICIPATED THAT THIS ITEM WILL BE
INTRODUCED AFTER NECU IS AVAILABLE
13. NEW SUBMARINE COVERALL:
A. CURRENTLY FILE IS WITH ADM(MAT) FOR CONTRACTING
B. IT IS BEING PLANNED TO CONDUCT A PROOF OF CONCEPT TRIAL IN 2018

The naval fleece can act as your second layer of clothing and is being issued now with the new floater coat.

daftandbarmy said:
And they are probably flame resistant too, which is awesome, right?

Sort of...the real protection comes when it is combined with the cotton (well, mostly cotton) baselayer to make the 'dual layer' system air and flight crew wear wear.

Latest, plus pictures in the article.

Canadian Navy – Naval Enhanced Combat Uniform Update

The latest version of the Canadian Navy’s Naval Enhanced Combat Uniform goes on trial soon with a Operational Wear test aboard a vessel. The earliest version was quite baggy, based on the Canadian Forces Combat Uniform, but in Black. It proved to be too baggy for use aboard ship. Logistik Unicorp produced the test uniforms and created a more streamlined fit as well as integrating features, like pocket designs, from a proposed next generation combat uniform.

The Naval Enhanced Combat Uniform is the replacement for the current No 5 Naval Combat Dress. Like its predecessor, it is black in color. However, two fabrics are currently being looked at, Nomex and Kermel, both competing pyramid fabrics with FR properties.

The shirt features onboard facing zippered Napoleon pockets as well as zippered hand pockets at the waist.

Additionally, there are zippered bicep pockets on either arm as well as a pile field for insignia.

One interesting feature is the integrated knee padding. It’s fairly simple and straightforward, but there are accommodations to add additional padding if needed.

In addition to fabric selection, they also hope to determine whether the trouser will feature a zippered rear pocket.

If all goes well, a final version will soon become the new No 5 dress for Canadian Navy personnel. Perhaps, some of the features of this uniform will find also their way into the combat uniform worn by ground-based Canadian forces.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/06/03/canadian-navy-naval-enhanced-combat-uniform-update/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3kO54EO5_HeYT1MscCdQatyjwthUJ8f8e1xvj6KyGJ13fAuPvXpvfn34I

OZXMPOv.jpg

PO1 Brenda Stevens in her newly issued Naval Enhanced Combat Uniform (#NECU) is part of the latest trial conducted by ADM (Mat). The trial is meant to be the final material verification before it goes into full production. Approx. 400 personnel across the #RCN will take part.

Trial participants will receive one uniform in each of the proposed textile material. The first is based on the NOMEX textile in wide use in the CAF OP clothing and the second is assessed as having merit for better comfort and wicking.

https://twitter.com/PacFltChief/status/1199736028338065410

https://twitter.com/PacFltChief/status/1199737552535609346

Dimsum said:
Latest, plus pictures in the article.

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/06/03/canadian-navy-naval-enhanced-combat-uniform-update/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3kO54EO5_HeYT1MscCdQatyjwthUJ8f8e1xvj6KyGJ13fAuPvXpvfn34I

Please... someone ... tell me that the Navy's work dress 'knee padding' thing is a joke  :rofl:

daftandbarmy said:
Please... someone ... tell me that the Navy's work dress 'knee padding' thing is a joke  :rofl:

The latest issued CADPAT has them...

My colleagues and I actually put a kneepad in it on the side we usually kneel and love it.

RCN on the road to a new operational dress uniform

fDhVzPx.jpg

Royal Canadian Navy sailors dressed in the new Naval Enhanced Combat Uniform

Did you know the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) is getting a new operational dress uniform? The current uniform, known as the Naval Combat Dress (NCD), was initially developed in the early 2000s. It is a three-piece uniform made up of a heavyweight jacket with liner, trousers and a lightweight shirt. After almost two decades of use, we are working to see how we can make improvements.

A sailor%u2019s uniform is a source of pride. Wearing quality, well-fitting equipment and clothing are a boost to morale and enables RCN success on operations, which is what makes this project so important.

The Department of National Defence and the RCN are currently trialling a new two-piece uniform, consisting of a long-sleeved shirt and pants. This new uniform is known as the Naval Enhanced Combat Uniform (NECU) and will replace the current operational dress. The new uniform will provide increased comfort, performance, and a better, more streamlined fit overall, while functioning in all operational environments. The current shirt and jacket will be replaced with the heavier-weight NECU shirt, which will have a better fit, minimized bulk in the pockets and improved functionality with current and future layers such as the Naval Wind & Rain ensemble. The trousers will have a modern cut and fit.

Fy4W9EB.jpg

Approximately 400 naval members are currently wearing the new dress as part of the trial. The goal is to make sure that the views and opinions of members are factored into any final decisions.

A lot of research is going into the new design. Surveys were conducted on the current uniform to identify issues and deficiencies. We undertook gender-based analysis, an important step to making sure we get everything right. In the coming weeks, surveys and focus groups will be conducted to get members%u2019 feedback on the NECU to ensure that deficiencies were addressed.  All this will go a long way towards a final uniform that works well for all members of the RCN, and is well suited for the operational environments and challenges they face.

If you are a member of the RCN, you can expect to receive your new uniform starting winter 2021 as you replace worn items of the current NCD. We anticipate the RCN should be completely outfitted over the following three years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/maple-leaf/defence/2020/02/rcm-road-to-new-operational-dress-uniform.html

:facepalm: to both CBC and the comments the Jnr NCOs made.

Uniforms are not "duds".  Can we, as the Armed Forces of our nation, not let CBC say dumb things like that?  This constant struggle to 'be cool' is for wankers.

The RCN Jnr NCM/NCOs really stressed the "hey, it's kinda cool looking and yah it looks cool walkin' around the dockyard" parts. 

Summary;  not sure what that *story* was actually about.

Eye In The Sky said:
:facepalm: to both CBC and the comments the Jnr NCOs made.

Uniforms are not "duds".  Can we, as the Armed Forces of our nation, not let CBC say dumb things like that?  This constant struggle to 'be cool' is for wankers.

The RCN Jnr NCM/NCOs really stressed the "hey, it's kinda cool looking and yah it looks cool walkin' around the dockyard" parts. 

Summary;  not sure what that *story* was actually about.

First off, I never heard the term "duds" before but it didn't sound like it was meant in a bad way.

Would you say it convey's 'professionalism' in any way?

It should be in an Old Navy commercial perhaps...but an (dare I say...) 'article'...about the RCN? 

I'd just chalk it up to CBC trying to sound hip & cool to a younger generation.  I wouldn't overthink it.  :2c:

I haven't heard anybody ever use the word 'duds' before, and I work with a lot of younger folks at my weekend job.

CBH99 said:
I haven't heard anybody ever use the word 'duds' before, and I work with a lot of younger folks at my weekend job.

We used that word, duds, when I was young. But it didn't refer to anything hip or cool. Rather the opposite: If you were told you wore duds, it meant worn out or ragged clothes. You'd look at a hobo, for instance and say "look at this guy's duds."

I seem to recall it was from Old English, something circa 15th or 16th century.

CBH99 said:
I'd just chalk it up to CBC trying to sound hip & cool to a younger generation.  I wouldn't overthink it.  :2c:

Hip and cool . . . younger generation . . .  well if that new, hipper, cooler and younger generation originated in the 16th century and "duds" meant much the same thing back then - clothes.  But if an organization is making such a big deal about getting a new uniform with more bling that a reporter is making a special report then it's not surprising that the news presenter sounds somewhat stupid trying to match the enthusiasm of those with the new duds.

And for those who say they haven't heard that expression before, use the search function and it will come up with several pages of examples from these means.  However those examples will include its use for ammo that didn't go off, individuals who had no potential and as a synonym for clothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdhdC0Mbqak&t=5s

CBH99 said:

I'm pretty sure the last time I heard "duds" for clothing (as opposed to ammo) was from an old PO about 20 years ago.  If anything, that sounds like the CBC letting their reporter's dad write the headline    ;D

Do y'hear there... do y'hear there.....

FWIW,

Recently, I saw two groups of sailors at lunch on the waterfront. One group was wearing the old work dress, mid-blue shirts tucked into dark blue trousers etc. The other was wearing the new stuff. Both group wore the ball caps.

The people in the new stuff definitely looked sharper and more 'military'. The plethora of patches was slightly disorienting but, if there's a choice to be made about what the crew should be wearing in public, there wasn't much of a contest there IMHO.

That is all....

daftandbarmy said:
Do y'hear there... do y'hear there.....

FWIW,

Recently, I saw two groups of sailors at lunch on the waterfront. One group was wearing the old work dress, mid-blue shirts tucked into dark blue trousers etc. The other was wearing the new stuff. Both group wore the ball caps.

The people in the new stuff definitely looked sharper and more 'military'. The plethora of patches was slightly disorienting but, if there's a choice to be made about what the crew should be wearing in public, there wasn't much of a contest there IMHO.

That is all....

The old Navy Uniforms are pretty hideous tbh, they don't give off a Military appearance at all.  The new ones are a BIG improvement.

Back