Author Topic: Editorial Opinion  (Read 6864 times)

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
Re: Editorial Opinion
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 13:31:29 »
It's interesting that the best source of news I have is people who are currently enrolled in a journalism program - they have yet to be infected with some of the various ideological plagues going around...

Offline jacksouth

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2018, 10:00:29 »
It's interesting that the best source of news I have is people who are currently enrolled in a journalism program - they have yet to be infected with some of the various ideological plagues going around...

Ahh yes, the ones who still have hope in their eyes!

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2018, 02:38:39 »
CNN-Breathless reporting, the pace of their reporting compared to BBC is like the Bersaglieri vs a Highland unit

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2018, 11:33:05 »
CNN-Breathless reporting, the pace of their reporting compared to BBC is like the Bersaglieri vs a Highland unit

'You can get away with a lot as long as you wear a suit.' Gordon Gecko ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5920.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2018, 14:50:43 »
JM,

As your post and subsequent conversation didn't add anything topical to the thread, it was removed. It is stored in the Grave if it needs further consideration or reposting.

Cheers
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2018, 17:44:03 »
Almost a decade ago, this very topic generated a lot of discussion on the Officer Indoctrination course I attended at CMR, as part of the syllabus on media relations for CFR types

At one point we hosted two news producers, one from CBC the other from CTV.

The one from the CBC focused on the production of documentaries, and how they tend to go a bit more in depth than a typical news bite, but consequently some subjectivity inevitably creeps into the analysis.

The CTV producer, on the other hand, covered the production of typical half hour news presentation during a peak TV time (6 and 11). One of her comments that stood out was that, in the end, the entire presentation is framed in a way to appeal to certain demographics, in order to hold their attention to get to a particular sequence of commercials. The lead news, usually, was unavoidable, and much as time allowed was factual, in her view, as can be at the time. It is the later stories that tended to be tweaked more. It was also her view that news pieces are so short they can only really make people aware of the story, and if someone really wants to know what is going on they'll need to read, yes read, several articles on it, and a few books too. Something she acknowledged people are less and less likely to do.

By and large we found the CTv producer to be more honest about what they're trying to do, and the CBC guy was pretty self righteous about them being independent and more likely to provide an unbiased view of major events. Near the end of his presentation though, he gave an example of news covering a military blunder,  the USS Vincennes shooting down of Iran Air Flight 655 in July 1988. He thought the news article he used was fair in its presentation of known facts, on what was an egregious mistake no matter how you look at it. There were some Navy pers in the audience who happened to be in the audience, however, who had been on a frigate in the same area. They pointed out some glaring omissions in the article. To which the CBC producer responded, time is always a constraint when presenting a story, and the news piece he was using was from the time it occurred. Much like what the CTV producer was getting at, he also noted people are far too impatient to go into much depth, or follow a story up unless it directly affects them.

I'd say that's even more true now, with people getting (reaffirming) their understanding of events via meme's and comments on social media.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2018, 17:14:01 »
One TV station in Vancouver was so bad for editing interviews that our Commissioner refused to do anything but live on the air interviews with them. What I found in the 90's was; reporter on scene collects story, phones story in where it was transcribed. Story goes to Editor who modifies story for length, clarity and impact. During that process, many important details fall to the wayside or are changed. Typically now the reporter writes their own, submits and it goes through the editor checks.

Offline beirnini

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2018, 06:38:30 »
Fox News has repeatedly gone to former Justice Department official Robert Driscoll to comment on the Russia investigations, but what viewers don't hear is that he's also the attorney for Maria Butina, the suspected Russian spy charged with criminal counts.
Source